Social Media Management Explained
What is social media management? Social media management is the process of creating, scheduling, publishing and engaging with content on social media platforms. And then reviewing the results.
Almost every business uses at least some form of social media for marketing. Social media management encompasses all of the tasks required to do that.
The starting point is the creation of a strategy and a plan to implement that strategy.
Once the plan is in place there’s ongoing work to create the required content and publish it across the chosen social media platforms. As well as sharing content, it’s important to also engage with other people on social media. So, daily interaction is another important task to add to the list.
Know Your Platforms
One of the first decisions you need to make is which social media platforms to use. Each of them has pros and cons, and some are better for different goals or business sectors than others. Here is a quick guide to the major ones:
Facebook is the biggest social media platform. And with such a wide audience it can be good for any B2C businesses. It is probably the best platform if you’re targeting an older demographic.
Instagram also has a very wide reach. It’s great for B2C businesses targeting millennials. Especially if you are in a very visual sector like homeware or fashion. Or you’re in a lifestyle business such as fitness or travel.
LinkedIn is more of a professional network so it’s ideal if you sell products or services B2B. Or if you offer professional services like accountancy or legal advice.
Twitter is a particularly good place for getting involved in conversations. It can also be great for PR opportunities because you’ll find a lot of press and media people hanging out on there.
Pinterest has less of a social element than the other platforms we’ve mentioned. But it’s a must-have for B2C businesses related to crafts, hobbies or lifestyle as it can drive a ton of traffic to your website.
It All Begins with a Strategy
It’s impossible to provide good social management without first having a strategy in place. Before you can usefully spend time publishing and engaging on social media, you need to know what you’re trying to achieve.
A social media strategy will start with your business goals. From there, decisions can be made about who you’re trying to target and how you’re going to do that. For example, where, what, and when you will post, and how you’ll interact.
What does Social Media Management Involve?
Once you have that high-level strategy in place, ongoing social media management will involve the following tasks:
- Planning – the specifics of what content you want to share and when you’ll share it
- Scheduling – using tools to schedule your content so that it’s published in the right places at the right times
- Managing – maintaining an overview of the business’s social media channels so you’re aware of what’s going on
- Responding – replying to comments people make on your posts or other mentions of your brand on social media
- Engaging – spending time on social media proactively building relationships between your brand and other people on there
What Does a Social Media Manager Do?
As well as keeping up the ongoing flow of all these essential daily tasks, a social media manager can also help with less frequent or ad hoc projects:
- Creating and managing ad campaigns. Social media ad campaigns can be highly effective due to their ability to target just the right people. But it really helps to have an expert on board.
- Special campaigns such as contests or giveaways. A contest can really boost your visibility on social media. But it’s important to do it in the right way to get the best results. And also ensure you’re complying with each platform’s terms of service.
- Measuring and analysing your performance. One of the big benefits of social media marketing is the amount of data available to you. An expert social media manager will track this data and use the results to refine your strategy.
Why is Social Media Management Important for Businesses?
If you’re going to use social media for your business then it’s essential you do it in a managed way.
Without proper social media management, you’ll be wasting resources at best. And at worst, you could cause yourself a lot of problems. Social media has many benefits. Mainly, it’s fantastic because you can get your business in front of so many people. But for the same reason, you want to do whatever you can to avoid social media mistakes.
Why Your Business Needs a Social Media Management Agency
It can be tempting to try to manage your social media marketing in-house to save money. But that’s often a false economy.
Successful social media marketing that gives a return on investment requires specific up-to-date knowledge of the different platforms and what’s currently working well. A social media management agency can offer that knowledge. As well as having the time and resources to devote to your social media.
If you’d like to talk about working with a social media management agency and how it could look for your business, book a free consultation call now.