So recently I’ve been engaging a lot on Quora and I’m really enjoying understanding what people are looking for when it comes to Digital Marketing. It’s a strange and mixed bag, but if you haven’t heard of Quora, think of it as a lazy man’s Google.
What is it and what does it do?
Simply put, Quora is a question and answer platform. Someone goes on to the site, posts a question and people are given the opportunity to answer it. It’s completely FREE. So why would people use it?
There are a lot of people who are just TOO lazy to sift through Google results, so why not simply ask people who are interested in answering it for you. But why would anyone bother to answer? That’s the real question!
I spend some time on Quora every day, because it helps me to better understand what my target audience struggles with and what sorts of information people are looking for. It’s a great tool, not only do I get my name out there for industry specific answers, but I also get a chance to really understand what my audience’s issues and problems are. You can follow me on Quora by clicking here.
So recently, I’ve seen quite a few questions all pretty much framed the same way: “How can I market my business online for free?”
So I thought I would share it with you guys too. It’s a simple bullet point answer that I replied with, but it’s true for pretty much every business offering a product or service. Take a look for yourself:
How can I market my business online for free?
There are probably about a million answers to this question.
The truth is there are LOADS of ways.
- Make sure your site is optimised for SEO. So make sure all your pages have the right tags, titles, headings and content on the page. Also make sure your images are named correctly.
- Submit your sitemap to Google & Bing webmaster tools.
- Get on all the free directories - Yelp, 192.com etc etc. There are thousands of these. Find the top 10 - 15 - 50 and start signing up and making sure all your details are correct.
- Start creating relevant content (blogs, videos, pdfs whatever you want) about your industry, your products, your services. ALL of your content must provide MASSIVE VALUE to your target audience. HINT: Research everything you can about what your target audience. Examples: What they read, search for, look for, like, don’t like etc etc
- Create social media platforms. Post your relevant content. Share, ask your friends to share, ask your family to share.
- Find groups that are relevant to your industry or to your target audience (there should be quite a lot of overlap on these). Join as many groups that will let you. Get involved in the conversation. For the first 3 months DON’T TRY TO SELL ANYTHING.
- Make sure you are requesting email addresses on your website, social media etc. Don’t simply ask for them, have lead magnets, free videos, pdfs, guides, webinars, whatever.
- Email regular newsletters to your mail list. Once a week minimum. Again, for the first 3 months, DON’T TRY TO SELL ON THE EMAILS.
- Once you have a following and you have built a relationship (TRUST) then you can start to offer services or products. By then they will have faith in you, it’s a much easier sell.
These are the very basics when it comes to marketing your business online.
This was my answer on Quora and since then, the same question seems to come up again and again and again. I’m starting to get the feeling that it’s a recurring theme, so I wanted to share it with you.
If this was a tick list above, how many of them can you tick off right now, and how many need to go on your To Do list?
Until next time, good luck everybody.
PS: If you want help getting bigger and better results online, why not join our COMPLETELY FREE new Facebook Group: All About Digital Marketing. We are sharing new content all the time and we’re helping business owners and marketers just like yourself get amazing results! Don’t take my word for it: